How to use the Sign-Up Autoresponder
If you want a subscriber to get a series of messages after subscribing to a list, for example with different parts of an online offer, select the Sign-Up Autoresponder. This function will let you automate your messages sent in response to customer actions. Thanks to a few autoresponders of this kind you are able to create a ‘line’ of messages that your recipient will get after subscribing to your mailing list.
Creating responders like this is easy - take a look.
How to set up an autoresponder
First click on the ‘Campaign creator’ tab on the main menu and select ‘Autoresponder’.
After selecting the Sign-Up Autoresponder, you will be asked to fill in a few parameters.
This is where you select which mailing list you are going to use to send messages. The next option to adjust is the sending time. Three variants are available:
- immediately - right after signing up to a mailing list a recipient will get an autoresponder (it can serve as a welcome message or anything else you might want)
- delayed - the autoresponder will be sent after a delay that you set. You can modify the number of hours/days/weeks/or even months after signing up that your recipient will get the message,
- at a selected hour - if you prefer to send a message to new subscribers at certain hour.
You can also define if you want your message to be sent every day of the week or only on selected days. If you unselect Saturday and Sunday, for example, and a new subscriber signs up on one of those days then the autoresponder will be sent on the first day afterwards that has been selected. If you want you can arrange for you all of autoresponders to be sent only on Thursdays at 4:00 am!
Set up the other standard parameters such as a name of the autoresponder, the subject line of the message, the address and a name of sender. Then click the ‘Next’ button.
In the next step you need to choose if you want to use ready-to-use templates available in the FreshMail Template Library, import a template from a file or a URL address, use a template from a campaign that has been already sent or create your own message in HTML (to do so click on the ‘New message’ button on the left hand side and then select 'CK Editor' or 'Upload from your computer'/'Download from URL').
When you’re finished editing click 'Next' and you will move to the next step, 'Tests'. Here you can check to see if a message is coded correctly and if there is a chance that it will be flagged as spam. You can also use an Inbox Test to see how a message will be displayed in various inboxes and you can send yourself a test email.
Clicking 'Next' will take you to the 'Advanced' stage where you can set up the address to which your recipients will reply and change the advanced options (all options are analogous to a normal campaign). After clicking 'Next' again you will be in 'Summary' where you will be able to click on 'Enable the autoresponder'.
What to do after the autoresponder is activated
After accepting the autoresponder you will be directed to another page where you can manage all the autoresponders. You can active/enable them by clicking on 'Activity' button and you can also group the autoresponders in separate folders. To create a longer line of messages you will have to create a new autoresponder.
When you confirm the setup of the autoresponder, it is active and marked with a green button:
You can suspend the autoresponder at any time. To do so, just click on the ‘Activity’ button and then it will change to a red ‘pause’ icon. This means that the autoresponder has been stopped.
Mousing over the name of autoresponder will give you a few useful options under the icons on the right hand side:
To clarify icons from the left:
- The ‘eye’ icon lets you preview the message. This allows you to check if all the parameters of a campaign are set up correctly.
- You can also group your autoresponders and create folders for them. To add an autoresponder into a certain folder, click the ‘folder’ icon and place the selected autoresponder wherever you want.
- The next function lets you edit and duplicate an autoresponder. Click on the ‘arrow’ icon and select one of these options:
- Clicking on the ‘Edit’ button transfers you to the editing stage, where you are able to change selected elements.
- Clicking on the ‘Duplicate’ button copies the selected autoresponder. Thanks to this option you are able to use the duplicate for a new campaign without needing to start over and create it again.
- The last function with the ‘cross’ icon lets you to delete a selected autoresponder. Of course the campaign will be stopped and an autoresponder will be disabled.
If you want to learn more about how to use this kind of autoresponder in practice visit our blog.